- Truancy is caused by poor performance, as is the evidence that
- Poor performance is caused by truancy
This is an education issue and the County Attorney has no place in it, until the school determines that a child is a habitual truant.
From the perspective of the Judiciary Committee 79-209 violates the most fundamental cannons of our legal system in that it punishes the innocent along with the guilty. From:
- the Bible at Genesis chapters 18 and 19 where Abraham says to God’s angels “Wilt Thou indeed sweep away the righteous with the wicked” referring to Sodom and Gomorrah and God relented allowing Lot and his family to leave
- to Torah scholar Rabbi Moses Maimonides in the 12th century who asserted the Torah requires absolute certainty of guilt referencing the above and also Exodus 23:7
- to British jurist William Blackstone in the 18th century: "All presumptive evidence of felony should be admitted cautiously; for the law holds it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer"
- to Ben Franklin who quotes justice Blackstone but increases his 10 to 100 guilty going free
- to John Adams who shows the same sentiment as justice Blackstone while defending the British soldiers that caused the Boston Massacre.