The Nebraska Family Forum Supports the Fulton Bill, LB 1165, here's why:
- LB 1165 will put government back in its proper order. It is a strong, clear state truancy statute that designates appropriate control over attendance policy to school districts, and the communities who fund and govern them.
- It allows authorities to reach truant students much earlier than they could under the old statute, by requiring students with unexcused absences to be referred to law enforcement much sooner.
- It ensures that children with excused absences - including kids who are sick, spending quality time with a deployed parent, visiting a sick relative, traveling with family, and pursuing athletic and educational excellence - will never be punished under the law.
- LB 1165 honors the rule of law upon which a civil society must be based. If this committee will pass Fulton’s bill you will have established a law that is just, known, and predictable; a law that places appropriate restraints on the politic and will prevent the arbitrary use and abuse of power.
- LB 1165 removes the power of county attorney’s to get involved at any stage in the process to address “excessive absenteeism”. There is a clear point of legal intervention which provides essential protections to the innocent, but the bill does not cripple the ability of schools to expose educational neglect.